Patriotic Pinwheel Craft
4th of July is tomorrow! Let the kids get in on the holiday action by making this Patriotic Pinwheel Craft. There’s always a breeze in Dallas so just stand outside and it will turn!
This attractive craft can be made using paint and a homemade sponge stamp. Take it with you for your evening 4th of July festivities to keep the kids busy. They’ll be the only ones with this patriotic pinwheel!
Patriotic Pinwheel Craft Materials:
- Household sponge
- White printer or copier paper
- Blue and red craft paint
- Gold paint pen
- Pony bead
- Wooden dowel
Patriotic Pinwheel Craft Directions:
- Cut the white paper to a 7″ square.
- Cut a star shape out of a household sponge.
- Squeeze blue paint onto a palette or paper plate. Dip sponge into paint, dab off excess, and press onto paper. Repeat design in several places. Clean out the sponge and repeat with red paint.
- Use a gold paint pen to draw dots and curly lines on the paper to decorate it further. Let dry then turn over and decorate the other side.
- Use a ruler and a pencil to lightly mark the paper according to the template. Cut diagonal lines toward the center, using the template as a guide.
- Use the pencil to poke holes in the paper where indicated on the template.
- Insert the thumbtack into the wooden dowel to create a hole. Remove thumbtack.
- Fold one of the corners (with a hole) toward the center of the paper. Insert the thumbtack through the hole. Bring the next corner up and under the first one, inserting the thumbtack. Repeat for all four then push the thumbtack through the center hole.
- Holding the tack and the paper together with one hand, turn over and slide the pony bead onto the thumbtack, then insert the thumbtack into the dowel. This will add space between the paper pinwheel and the dowel.
- You can use a new pencil with an eraser instead of the dowel.
- To shorten the dry time, only paint one side of the paper. When you begin folding, have the unpainted side facing up at you so that when folding over the corners, the designs will become visible.
- Do not use card stock or poster board. That type of paper is too heavy and your pinwheel will not turn.
By: Amanda Formaro